Wednesday 7 January 2015

The Imitation Game Review



  
I was in contact with The Weinstein Company and Black Bear Pictures to get permission (and links) to use these promotional images. Thank you to them for letting me use such beautiful shots. 

Well, I just saw a really great film and in an effort to diversify the content here on LOLS, I'm now going to review this film for you. The Imitation Game or, as I now call it, The Film About The Most Amazing Man No One Had Ever Heard Of Until Benedict Cumberbatch Played Him In A Movie. My option is not quite as catchy but it is very accurate. It truly is a riveting film that deserves all of the praise it is getting and it's 5 Golden Globe nominations.

Cumberbatch portrays Allen Turing, a mathematician that worked for the British government during the second world war. He was a part of a top secret group that worked to decode German messages. Turing was an absolute genius and Cumberbatch is totally believable in the role. When the film first started I thought he was just playing an old timey version of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory but I quickly realised he goes far deeper than any sit com character. In an effort to not spoil the film and tell you exactly what happens, I will just say that Turing had some deeper issues and Cumberbatch subtly showed how he covered them up. It must be difficult to portray an anti social and closed off person while continuing to show their vulnerability and complexity, Cumberbatch manages to make it look easy.

The supporting cast was also very good, with a surprisingly marvellous performance from Kiera Knightley. Her more upbeat and socially aware version of Joan Clarke's genius worked well to combat the fact that Turing's personality could be off putting to an audience. The other supporting characters also did amazing jobs in their roles, especially Matthew Goode as Hugh Alexander. Hugh transformed as a character from more of an antagonistic nature to one of Turing's allies. Good managed to do this with subtlety and integrity, he didn't make it an obvious 180 turn. 

Morten Tyldum did a good job at the direction, though I do not think it was Oscar worthy. There was nothing particuarly astounding about the way it was shot. The real strength comes from the screenplay, written by Graham Moore. I can see why it topped The Blacklist, a list of the best unmade screenplays, in 2011. Though I'm certainly happy that it was eventually produced because it is far better this way. The dialogue is snappy and the portrayal of Turing, who is not able to understand normal human interaction, does not make fun of him in any way. That would have been an easy hole to fall in but Moore expertly makes him loveable while still identifying his flaws. 

My favourite part of the film was Alex Lawther, who played the young Alan Turing. He did the most amazing job at the character, showing how he was more vulnerable in his younger years. There is one part of the film where he is upset and the way his lip quivers is some of the best acting I have seen in a long time. He definitely deserves some recognition for doing such a good job in the role. 

I hope that whole thing made sense, I've never written anything like it before. All in all I just loved this film and think it is something everyone should see, even if it just is to understand the significance of what Alan Turing did for the world. Hell, I'm writing this post on a 'Turing Machine' and I never knew it. Definitely a must see. 

PS. If you have any constructive criticism for anything you would like to see in these posts or anything you want to hear about the film that I didn't include, please tell me in the comments below. 


Lots of Love, 

Shannon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig