Sunday 11 January 2015

Lets Go Into The Woods




Full disclosure, this isn't the post I had planned for today. Due to extenuating circumstances I couldn't do that post so instead we've got another film review! I promise they won't usually be this frequent but with awards season and all, I'm seeing a lot of movies. I've actually seen Into The Woods in theatres twice already, which I find very impressive because it hasn't even been out a week yet. I feel like one of those film fanatics.

There is so much happening in this film that I don't even know where to begin. You know what, I will start with the one fact that this is a musical. When I went to see this for the first time my Mum's friend didn't know it was a musical and was very shocked by the whole thing, so I'm just warning you. The music in it is very good, albeit a bit repetitive. I'm glad it isn't one of those musicals a la Les Mis where they sing the whole time because it would probably get a bit much. The film was cast very well so that all of their voices harmonised nicely, this was especially evident when they were entering the woods and most of the main characters were singing together. I was a bit questioning of Emily Blunt, Chris Pine and Meryl Streep's voices in the film but I was pleasantly surprised that all of their voices were wonderful. Pine's song 'Agony' was actually one of my favourites.

Another thing that worried me about the film before first viewing was the tone. I thought it was going to be very serious and dark which can be very hit or miss in musicals for me. Once again I was surprised that there was a lot of humour in it. Of course there was serious moments but there was also some scenes that made me laugh out loud. You could tell which characters served which purpose and I was totally fine with that.

Now I want to do a quick run down of each of the characters because they're such iconic characters being played by a bevy of stars, so I know people will be curious.

The Witch - Meryl Streep
She does good, she's Meryl Streep it's not exactly a shock. Does she deserve an Oscar nomination? I think it's unnecessary.

The Baker's Wife - Emily Blunt
Undoubtedly the star of the film. She and Corden are the heart of the film but she also provides a lot of humour. I didn't know she could sing and man can she sing.

The Baker - James Corden
He's just very loveable. His character has some issues in deciding what he wants to do and I just think he could have done a better job at portraying that inner conflict. He does great during the more fun parts though.

Cinderella - Anna Kendrick
She plays the character well. There's not much to say as she doesn't really display any talents or abilities we didn't know she was capable of.

Cinderella's Prince - Chris Pine
This character is so funny. He doesn't play the biggest role but as an egomaniac, charismatic prince he does a fabulous job.

Red Riding Hood - Lila Crawford
This character grated on me a little bit. Lila has a very Annie voice, which is why it makes sense that she was in the play at one point. I find that type of voice quite distracting and the character didn't really serve much of a purpose other than to be a know it all little girl.

Jack - Daniel Huttlestone
I thought Daniel was so cute in his small roll in Les Miserables and was happy to see him expand his acting prowess in another role.

The Wolf - Johnny Depp
I'm a bit over Johnny Depp in his eyeliner and overacting, so that coloured my view of his role slightly. I just think this role could have been played better by a CGI wolf. Plus his song made him sound like a paedophile, just saying.

My one main issue with the film was that it wasn't as destructive as I had hoped. I knew that the premise was 'What happens after the happily ever after?' and I thought it would go to shit even more than it does. It has been tamed in order to be more PG, which is fair enough but I would have liked to see the things that go on in the play.

Overall I loved the film. The cinematography is beautiful, giving it that dark look and the script does a great job at keeping up with each of the characters. I thought a lot of the actors were amazing and it truly is an extraordinary musical film. Something I wish we had even more of.

Have you seen Into The Woods? What did you think of it?

Lots of Love, 

Shannon


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig