Monday 12 January 2015

Best and Worst Dressed of the Golden Globes


Happy Awards Season! The day of the Golden Globes is always one of my favourites of the year because it is the things I love combining. Fashion? Check. Beauty? Check. Famous People? Check. Films? Check. TV? Check. I told you it's a good day. As I did last year, I am going to sum up my top four looks of the day and the four that left me disappointed/looking for the sick bucket. Get ready because I'm rather judgemental.

Best Dressed


Emma Stone
PANTS ON THE CARPET! What a risk but it really did pay off. Emma looks so comfortable in this look and I think that's what makes me like it so much. I first saw a close up of just her chest and face and I thought 'Beaded dress, meh, maybe it will be nice' and then BAM! Pants with a bow was definitely not what I was expecting. This Lanvin look is so edgy that it couldn't possibly be boring. I don't think in any other circumstance it would be one of my favourite looks but because it was such a departure from what we usually see, I just adore the choice.

Felicity Jones
The fashionistas expected big things from Felicity and I think she definitely delivered in this Dior number. Let be bless you with an anecdote. The other night I had a dream that I attended the Golden Globes (I was nominated for my astounding acting skills, duh) and I wore a dress this exact same greenish colour with a similar full skirt. Felicity and I are one. She's so adorable and petite that this dress could overwhelm her but her face is so beautiful that it actually ends up outshining the dress. 

Jessica Chastain
Good ol' Jessica bringing the old Hollywood glamour to the Globes carpet. She got her globes out (get it? I'm stealing Jeremy Renner's joke) but it doesn't seem gross or in your face, it is very classy. The cut of the dress is quite a traditional one that is very flattering on her frame, Versace did good. My favourite thing about this dress is the colour, it is so interesting. It is a bronzy brown that suits her red hair and pale skin far more than I would have thought. This almost got knocked to number five on my list but the more I write about it the more I love it and am glad I chose to bump someone else instead.

Julianne Moore
Firstly, congratulations to Julianne on her big win. I can't wait to see her film and witness the great performance myself. Not only did she bring it in the acting department but she brought it in the fashion department too. Though I feel as though I've seen dresses like this before, I don't even care because this Givenchy one is so nice. She looks like a real winner, very glamorous. The cut of the dress would be flattering on most shapes so it was a good choice for Juliane. If I were her I would have had more done to my hair but I'm just nit picking now. 


Worst Dressed


Lana Del Rey
She looks like she's dressed up as a mermaid (and not well). I understand that this is Lana's look and all but it just didn't impress me. The colour is beautiful, though that couldn't stop it from looking tacky. I didn't even see Lana on the telecast of the show, I don't know if that was because they didn't show her or because I just thought she was someone's sister who went a bit overboard for her first and only award show. Sorry Lana, I just couldn't get on board your Travilla mermaid train.

Lupita Nyong'o
Lupita, Lupita, Lupita, why do you do this to me? You were my best dressed by far last year and now you've fallen all the way to the worst dressed section. There was far too much going on with this Giambattista Valli gown. I quite like the ruffled flowers around the bust and even as the pattern makes its way down the skirt. It's when the tea stain look starts around the thighs that this dress totally loses me. I'm very disappointed about this one.

Claire Danes
I'm not often impressed by Claire's looks on the carpet and this Valentino number was no exception. The illusion netting is baggy and too opaque to really be illusion netting, it's a very confusing part of the dress and I wouldn't be surprised if it was specifically added for Claire. The whole beaded pattern thing is just ugly, there's no way to sugar coat it. I think Claire is a great woman but this choice was just baaad. 

Kiera Knightley 
There were such high hopes for this woman. Everything was pointing upwards. She was a nominee, it was her first red carpet with child, she is the face of Chanel, she's Kiera Knightley and she just bit it. I don't entirely blame her because it was especially made for her by Chanel and I don't know how much input she had in the design, I'm hoping 0%. This looks like two dresses they tried to put together because neither of them were good on their own and instead they made the Frankenstein's monster or dresses. I apologise for being so harsh but, let's face it, it ain't good. 

Round one done. Only three or four more award shows to go this season and boy am I excited for them. I think the race for the Oscars this year is so tight that it will be really interesting to see how it plays out and who wins. And, of course, what everyone will wear on the big night. Before that there's the SAGS and the Grammys, I'm just spoilt for choice! 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Love Julianne Moore's dress. xx

    http://ninasstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig