Sunday 25 January 2015

Birdman Review




Na na na na na na na na bird... wait a second. Did I go see the wrong movie? Nah I was looking for the award winning masterpiece that is Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance). I liked it so much I remembered the extra part of the title that nobody seems to give a crap about. To put it simply I really enjoyed this film but to go a bit deeper... 

The thing that really stood out to me about Birdman (See the trailer HERE) was the way it was shot. Director Alejandro González Iñárritu (I remembered the title but I copied and pasted that name, damn it's complicated) had the ingenious idea to shoot it as though it was one continuous shot, following the actors throughout the scene rather than cutting back and forth. Apparently Iñárritu was strongly advised to not shoot the film this way by pretty much everyone in Hollywood but he stuck with his vision. Knowing this fact made me respect him even more because it is one thing to do something innovative, it is a whole other ball game when some of the most powerful people in the film industry are telling you your idea will be detrimental to your film. Right at the beginning I did have a brief thought of 'oh no the way the camera is moving is going to make me motion sick' but that never eventuated because I got used to the fluidity of the camera and actually grew to prefer it in some instances. 

Though there was obviously cuts in the scenes, it did not seem like it. The way they used the camera to move through the St. James Theatre where the film was shot almost wholly on location, it is an astonishing feat in editing that there was cuts in that footage. I love the fact that it was actually set in a broadway theatre because it gave an extra element of realism to the film. I think I should backtrack slightly and explain the plot of the film, don't worry, no spoilers. It follows an actor named Riggan Thompson who used to play a famous superhero named Birdman in a series of films. Now, twenty years later, Riggan is trying to regain the fame and admiration he once had by writing, directing and staring in his own Broadway play. Set during the previews of the play, the film features the dynamics between Riggan and his family, namely his daughter/assistant Sam. It also shows the other three actors in the play, one of whom is his girlfriend, and the issues that arise with them. 

Second only to the shooting style is the acting in Birdman. Every character was portrayed with such realism and honesty that they make a fantastic ensemble. The stand out is obviously Michael Keaton as Riggan because he gives the character so many layers that you're never sure what is going on inside his head. One thing that I tend to dislike about some films is that the characters are too transpartent, you know everything they are thinking. Riggan is different, unpredictable and sometimes just a bit weird. He displays supernatural powers but for most of the film you are unsure whether they are real or a figment of his imagination. Edward Norton also is great in the role of Mike Shiner, an established Broadway actor who comes to star in the play. He is a bit of a nutter and Norton is super believable in the role. 

The women of the film also do a fantastic job. Emma Stone, Naomi Watts and Andrea Riseborough all let down their guards sometimes, are weak sometimes and sometimes they tell whoever is crossing them to shove it. I like when characters are like this because I think it is the most realistic representation of an actual person. We all have our issues and we deal with them differently each time. 

As to not let this review get twenty miles long, which it possibly could be with my ability to ramble and the amount of things to talk about within the film. I'm going to finish off with the point that the score of the film was another really interesting choice because it was solely drums. I found that sometimes I loved the score and sometimes I found it a bit distracting but nevertheless it was an addition that made the film feel even more like an art piece. 

Have you seen Birdman? Would you like to see Birdman? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below! 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig