Wednesday 24 June 2015

Makeup Collection: Bases



We're jumping into a big project here on LOLS, my makeup collection. I have been thinking recently about how I need to clear out my collection and get rid of anything I don't use but I thought I should run it all down first. Basically, I want to tell you about everything. It's a mammoth task so I thought, as to not overwhelm you nor I, I would break it down into manageable portions. We're starting with the largest batch, the bases. I didn't feel like I had this many foundations/BB/CC creams until I took the above pictures. As a pale whale I'm always trying to find things that are light enough for my complexion and I usually fail, so expect to see a lot of 'it's too dark for me but...' in this post. You have been warned. 

Nars Sheer Glow in Siberia
Let's start with the most expensive, shall we? I had been wanting this foundation for literally years before I finally picked it up a couple of months back. It's really as good as they make it out to be. The shade is perfect for my skin tone, a rare gem to find. I have heard people say that it is full coverage which I would have to disagree with. It has a light/medium coverage upon first application which can be built up to a more full coverage if layered with a wet sponge (to avoid caking). I save it for special occasions because I don't want to run out but it is definitely one of my top foundations. 

Rimmel Lasting Finish 25hr Nude in Light Porcelain
You have heard me rave about this foundation a gazillion times by now, so I will try to keep this as brief as possible. It is my everyday foundation (mostly because it is about 1/4 of the price of the Nars one). It has a satin finish, I would not describe it as 'dewy' but it is far from matte. The foundation is very comfortable and long wearing. A big tick in my book. 

Rimmel Match Perfection in Light Porcelain
Another Rimmel foundation that I hold dearly to my heart. This one has a slightly lighter coverage and a slightly dewier finish than the Lasting Finish Foundation. They actually mix together very well, which is aided by the fact that they come in the same shades. 

Nars Pure Radient Tinted Moisturiser in Finland
I can't really remember why I bought this in the first place. Honestly I think I may have been in a shopaholic induced coma at the time. That being said, I'm quite happy about it. I always forget that I own it but it's the best tinted moisturiser. It isn't too dewy in finish and sets down very nicely to feel like skin. For a tinted moisturiser, I'm very impressed by the level of coverage though it still is a tinted moisturiser so don't expect anything higher than medium. The shade is slightly too yellow for me but it's nothing a bit of bronzer can't fix. I definitely need to use this more and get my moneys worth. 

Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow in Ivory 
Ages ago I wrote a post about how much I disliked this foundation. It was matched to me in Sephora while we were there in 2014 and, at the time, I was severely disappointed. After trying it for a while I put it in the drawer and never touched it again. That is, until a couple of weeks back. I realised that I may have been unfair in my judgements and I was right. This is actually a really nice foundation! It is very much like the Match Perfection and great for everyday wear. I have added it back into the rotation. 

Maybelline Dream Nude Aire Foam in Classic Ivory 
I wore this exclusively for a while but since I have moved on to bigger and better things, I realise how odd it is. First of all, it's a full on foam which is very different and a bit gimmicky. There is really no coverage in this, so if that's what you're into it could be the one for you. It just tints my skin a slightly darker coverage than my natural face. I'm just looking for something slightly more in a foundation. This one will be dispersed with when I clean out the drawer. 

Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream in Ivory 
As my favourite CC cream ever, I really have no complaints about the Bourjois 123 Perfect. It could be released in a lighter shade so that I could wear it year round, for now it is a purely summer product for me. Every time I break it out I enjoy how natural and flawless it makes my face look.

Rimmel BB Cream Radiance in Medium 
This was given to me in one of my The Parcel subscription boxes, hence the way too dark shade. I have tried this on my face and though it made me look like an oompa loompa, I adored the finish. The lighter shade is definitely on my wish list but I'm going to have to give this one away to a better home because even with a spray tan it would be too dark. 

Rimmel BB Cream in Medium
I got this one from The Parcel as well and my thoughts on it basically echo those of the product above. However, I do not particularly want to try the lighter shade. It is not because it isn't a nice BB cream but because if I'm going to get the radiance one, I don't need both. I need to learn the art of restraint. 

Garnier BB Cream in Light
Back in the day when I first started wearing makeup this was what I wore. I could make the shade work and it was easy to apply with my fingers. Since I was quite young, I did not understand the concept of products breaking out my skin. I just figured the pimples were an unfortunate side effect of the bliss we call puberty. It was not until I stopped using it and then briefly started again that I realised it was the BB Cream causing the issue. Despite our long running connection, this BB cream has to go. It's probably too old anyway now I think about it... 

Garnier Miracle Skin Cream
I'm not really sure whether this counts as a base or a skincare product but, hey, it's in the drawer. It is basically a moisturiser that comes out of the tube white but when you rub it into your face it adjusts to your skin tone and adds the slightest bit of coverage. I quite enjoy wearing it on no makeup days, though it does make my skin look quite shiny. 

Revlon Colorstay Whipped in Nude
This is the thickest most uncomfortable foundation I own, yet I still keep it. That is because for Calisthenics (it's an Australian form of dance, google it) stage performances we have to wear full coverage foundation at least two shades darker than our natural skin tone. It is only on those twoish days a year that I break this out and slather it on. Ugh, I think I'm getting pimples just thinking about it. 

Rimmel Wake Me Up in Soft Beige
What possessed me to buy this foundation in such a horrendously bad colour? Lord knows. I really wanted to try it because I had heard all of the beauty gurus going on about it but the shade was far too dark to ever wear out of the house. Since then, I donned it a couple of times for calisthenics but it always came up super orange (unlike the Revlon). My friend also wears this foundation and I'm quite put off by the noticeable glitter on her face when she does, so I think I will dispense of this one and not bother trying to find an appropriate shade. 

Almay CC Cream in Light
Another one that broke me out! Once I'm done with this post I'm actually going to have a look at the ingredients in this and the Garnier one to see if I can decipher what it is that reacts with my skin. Other than that, rather major, issue, I actually loved this CC Cream. It had a really nice coverage and a skin-like finish. Too bad I'm going to have to say goodbye to this one too. 

I'm going to be posting these makeup collection posts once a fortnight on a Wednesday if you want to keep your eye out for them. I promise that this is the largest one, they'll be less like essays from here on out. 

There's no harm in adding some more to the collection, so please share your favourite base products with me below! Especially if you know any that come in shades pale enough, you would be my favourite person ever. 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon

SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Great post! I liked learning about the products cause I'm also light complected. Have a great rest of the week!

    xo, Bry

    Drissella.Naughty&Nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pale girls unite! I also love hearing about base products that come in lighter shades. Hope I could help a little xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, what an amazing collection! xx

    Beautylymin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It definitely needs clearing out xx

      Delete
  3. you have so many! i got sheer glow ages ago so it's the wrong shade for me now unfortunately, i really want to try their new one!

    danielle | avec danielle // giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their new one looks amazing. I'm resisting buying it so far because, as you can see, I have a lot already xx

      Delete
  4. I love the regular Revlon Colorstay much more than the whipped version! Full coverage, easy to blend and looks way better on the skin compared to the whipped version in my opinion.

    xoxo

    Jessica

    www.blushandbaubles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about the normal Colourstay. It's definitely on my 'I will try it one day' list xx

      Delete

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig