Monday 22 December 2014

Day 10: Shannons of Christmas Past


I've pretty much exhausted my ideas for makeup/pop culture posts this Blogmas so I decided that for this post we would just have a story time. This may not by everyone's cup of tea, it's basically just going to be me rambling, but I'm going to enjoy writing it so *in Miranda Sings voice* haters back off!

Nanna Fell Into A Bush
I'm going to start off these stories on Boxing Day because when I was a kid we would spend Christmas Day with one half of the family and then schlep up to the country and spend Boxing Day with the other half. We always used to play cricket in Nanna and Grandpa's street because there was never any cars and at this particular time it was Nanna's turn to bat. Now she's not a super young lady so the idea that she was batting was comedic as is but it got even funnier. My Dad bowled the ball and Nanna put so much force into hitting it that she span right around and fell into the bush behind her. After we all rushed in and helped her up, making sure she hadn't broken a hip in the process, it was the funniest thing ever. My Nanna's a tough cookie (she got run over by a car the other year and got out of it with a broken wrist) so she was able to laugh away with the rest of us.  

The Time I Fell Down A Drain
Let me take you back to Christmas 2007 (ish?). A 9 year old Shannon had received a Razor scooter that morning and insisted on taking it to her grandparents house for Christmas lunch - enough with the third person. I was riding my scooter around the street between lunch and dinner, usually nap time for the older family members and had built up quite a pace. My older brother Mitch and his girlfriend of the time were hanging out in the front yard watching me go. Then all of a sudden I ran off the foot path and into the grass. Before I knew I had come off the scooter and fallen through a concrete block into the drain below (the block was already cracked, I'm not just that heavy). Now that sounds very dramatic but I was really just about waist deep and wedged between two concrete blocks. Mitch rushed over and had to lift a crying me out of the hole. I was all banged up and rushed back inside to get a band aid and some lollies from my sympathetic Grandma.

The 'Worst' Present Ever
 We used to get so excited about Christmas that our parents would let us open one of our gifts on Christmas Eve. Yeah, we're one of those families. One year I had my eye on a very large gift with my name on it so of course I chose to open it early. My Mum kept telling me that I should open something else but I insisted. The tears began when I pulled back the wrapping paper and discovered that it was a badminton set complete with a net. I would like to point out that I am the least sporty person on the earth and so this present disappointed me greatly. It turns out that I was a massive brat! My Dad (who chose the present) must have spent a decent whack of money on it and we did actually end up using it. Turns out I quite enjoy badminton after being such a dick about it. 

These are some of my favourite Christmas memories and I would love to hear any of yours in the comments below. I really enjoyed doing this type of post because it felt like I was just chatting with friends, or writing a simple biography, your choice. 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig