Sunday 19 October 2014

Current Reads: We Were Liars


Firstly, I would like to address the fact that my blog posts have been an accurate representation of my life lately. They've been happening, just a bit late. I've been so busy recently in the lead up to my end of year exams (and I've been procrastinating like nobody's business, you know how it is, the more you have to do the less you want to do it) that I've been slacking off on the blog writing duties. 

Anyway, on to the book...

I heard about this book, We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, somewhere and then the next day my uncle happened to arrive on our doorstep with it as a gift. Coincidence? I think not. This book and I were meant to be together. I was enthralled by the back cover that read 'We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense that will leave you reeling. Read it. And if anyone asks you how it ends, just lie.' If that's not a good blurb I don't know what is. 

I would describe this as a young adult novel that could easily be enjoyed by an adult who was looking for a easy read. I started the book at 9:30pm and read straight though until I finished it at 2am. Not only does this tell you that it's an enthralling book, it also shows that it is a relatively quick read. The book has an interesting structure, with some parts being more like poetry. It is very much written from the perspective of the main character Candence, a troubled teenage girl from an upper crust American family. It follows her struggles with her family who all live on their own private island for the summer. 

This novel shows how beautifully tragic life can be and how messed up some families can be, even though you love them regardless. John Green sums it up perfectly in his quote on the front cover that says 'thrilling, beautiful, and blisteringly smart, We Were Liars is utterly unforgettable'. 

Now go, read it. And don't ask me how it ends or I'll have to make up some crap about a llama and a hula hoop, which we will both know is a lie. 


Lots of Love, 

Shannon 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig