Thursday 9 October 2014

Battle of the Highlighters



I can't believe Battles Week is already nearing it's end, boy how time flies. For this second last post (and the final makeup post, hint hint) I decided to give myself a challenge. The other posts have been relatively easy to name a winner because I go into it with one of the products already being a favourite, but this one is different. For the life of me I wasn't able to tell whether either of these products even did anything, let alone which one of them was better. For the sake of the post, I put my inspector hat on and went deep to find the gritty details. 

Lets start by addressing packaging. This was the only part that I knew the winner straight off the bat. I know my Benefit Girl Meets Pearl is only a sample but I've done some research into the full size packaging and I still think the L'Oreal Magic Lumi wins hands down. You simply turn the end and the product comes out ready to apply. No worrying about having too much product all over your fingers or an uneven coverage because you paint it on and blend it in. 

But how well do they work? I love that they both look very natural when applied to the skin. I don't want my face looking like a crazy disco ball all of the time. I love the way the L'Oreal pen looks under my eyes because once it's blended it is untraceable but it leaves everything looking 300% brighter and more awake. It has a nice yellow tone to it so it counteracts darkness well, though if there is any significant dark circles a concealer will need to be used underneath (it sits really well on top of my Maybelline Fit Me btw). This also works well on other areas of the face to give a nice highlighting effect without using a powder. 

The Benefit offering does not do as good of a job at brightening up my eyes, but it is a great natural highlight on the tops of my cheek bones and any other areas of the face. It has a slightly more pinky tone to it, this is more obvious in real life than it is on camera, and that makes it blend in really well and look super subtle. I find that this is perfect to wear when you don't want to look like you're wearing anything at all, especially if you're going for that sun kissed surfer chic look (you know the one, a bit of salt spray in the hair and plenty of bronzer). 

I have grown to love these products since I began giving them a good test for this post. The L'Oreal number has made its way into my must have pile and I don't think my face looks the same without it anymore. Because of this I will have to give it the win for this battle, it is just more versatile than the Girl Meets Pearl. I love a good subtle highlight under the eyes to make me look awake in the morning! 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig