Sunday 5 October 2014

Battle of the Brown Eyeliners



Are you ready to rumble?! Because facing off in the ring today are two products fairly similar in idea, so it should be a good one. First up is the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in Bronze and in the other corner is the Sephora Waterproof Contour Eye Pencil in Cappuccino. Have you had enough of the wrestling references yet? Good because I'm all out of knowledge. I think I will just bow my head and move on to the makeup review now. Stick with what you know. 

Okay, so we have two shimmery pencil eyeliners. Both claim to be 0.04 ounces of waterproof amazingness but lets see how they stack up. First lets address the price. In Australia the difference between the two is minimal, with the Rimmel offering costing $9.95 and the converted price of the Sephora pencil coming in at around $11.50. In America the difference is more substantial (Sephora $10 and Rimmel $4.50). Obviously the Rimmel wins out in the price, not only because it is cheaper but also because it is more obtainable for people everywhere. 

The packaging is pretty similar on both, with the main difference being colour and lid opacity. Rimmel has a slightly cheaper looking clear lid whereas Sephora has all black packaging. The thing that bothered me about both of their packaging was that I was unsure how to sharpen both of the pencils (this one may actually be down to my own stupidity, but we will have to see). The product comes out of a black tip and does not look wholly connected to the actual brown product. The fact that the bottom of both pencils twist and the plastic looking tip does not look like it would be sharpenable made me figure that they were twist up pencils. After living with unsharpened pencils for months, I finally did a google search that answered all of my questions. Despite what it looks like, you do have to physically sharpen these. The Sephora product felt a little more unstable after the sharpening than the Rimmel but both are still functional. 

I would say that they have equal amounts of shimmer in them, which is quite a lot. The Rimmel is a slightly more bronze colour, as the name would suggest, whereas the Sephora is a darker brown. Personally, I prefer the darker brown because I think it is more flattering on my eyes but that is really down to personal preference. Neither of the products will budge on the eye all day but I wouldn't say they were completely waterproof. I find it hard to believe that any piece of makeup can be 100% waterproof and these don't convert me. Though I've never tried swimming in them I know that they would move around. 

So up to this point you may see that both products are fairly even. It is the point of this post to choose a winner and I found the one thing that gives the Rimmel eyeliner the edge in this battle. The Sephora eyeliner doesn't pull on they eyelid but the Rimmel pencil is still far creamier and easier to apply. It glides across the lash line like a dream and sets into place very quickly. Because of this, and the fact that it is cheaper, I am going to have to award the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in Bronze the trophy for winning this tough battle. 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig