Thursday 9 October 2014

Battle of the Exfoliators


These days there are so many different ways to exfoliate. Oh how far the world has come! There's physical, chemical, electric options, serums and probably other options as well for exfoliating your face. I'm going to share with you all of the different types I have experienced and which I would suggest. 

Chemical Exfoliation 
My experience with this has been using the Clinique Clarifying Lotion as a toner between cleansing and moisturising. This is a good everyday option for everyone to use. I apply it with a cotton pad all over my face and it dries almost instantly, making it a nice quick addition to my rountine. I will admit that I had no idea why I was using this when I first got it but I have since discovered that it is a light chemical exfoliant that works slowly when applied day and night. I would recommend this for people who just want a quick exfoliate daily rather than having to put effort in, or for people with bad dry patches/oilyness who need a little extra exfoliation in their lives. 

Physical Exfoliation 
We're talking scrubs of all shapes and kinds. There are heaps of options for scrubs out there depending on your skin type and how sensitive it is. Some people have such hardy skin that they can use scrubs that are intense enough for the body, but this is certainly not recommended. I personally prefer cleaners that have tiny beads in it rather than a sugar scrub that is pictured above. These are more gentle on the skin and give it a proper clean at the same time. I would recommend this for people who have skin that needs a lot of exfoliation (especially the cleanser ones because they would be great to use everyday) or for people like me with normal sensitive skin, this would be a good thing to use on a pamper evening or whenever you need a little something extra. 

Exfoliating Brushes 
I've ventured into the weird and wonderful world of exfoliating brushes. I didn't feel the need to splash out and buy a Clarasonic, no instead I picked up one in TJ Maxx for about $20 when I was Stateside. I really enjoy using this once or twice a week to clear up my skin and get rid of any excess that may have been hanging around. I use this by getting a pump of my usual cleanser and spreading it all over my face. Then I wet my brush and turn it on, moving it around my face in small circular motions. I would recommend this for anyone really because even with my sensitive skin (that is also not overly oily or overly dry) it works a treat. It won't work for everyone daily because it's probably a bit abrasive for those of us who aren't oil slicks, but as an extra add on it's perfect. 

I can't crown a winner of this one because they all have their own specific purposes! This battle has got to be called a tie. 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon  
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I personally prefer chemical exfoliants, I find physical ones too abrasive for my skin. I am yet to try an exfoliating brush though, great post!

    http://katiekibbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly think physical ones aren't for everyone! I can't use them all the time or I end up getting a rash (been there, done that). Thanks for giving it a read xo

      Delete
  2. I am not even joking, I was in Boots today looking at cleansing brushes! Are they worth it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't necessarily recommend one of the really expensive ones, just because I've never tried one and I can't see them working THAT well. If you're looking at a cheaper one, I would definitely say give it a try. It is one of my favourite steps in my routine xo

      Delete

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig