Saturday 26 July 2014

Saving Your Pennies


I've always been rather good at saving my money. Even from a young age I was able to save everything I earned until I reached the ultimate goal (which, for the longest time, was a dog, then I spent the money on a laptop instead). I spent the last half of last year and a good part of this year trying to restrain myself as I was saving for our overseas holiday. After we got back I decided to let loose and not save for a while. The thing with that is now I'm worringly low on money, have a burgoning shopping addiction and plenty of things to save up for. I'm forcing myself to go on saving overload for the next couple of months, so I figured I would share how I'm going to do that. 

Make Lists 
Making wishlists gives me something to aim towards. But I find having one withlist with everything I have ever wanted to be too broad. I end up writing anything I see down without any rhyme or reason. Instead, I break it up. I have a list of the big things I want, the things that I need to save for, and that is the goal that keeps me saving. Then I have a more simple wishlist with things that I could buy (such as books, cheap makeup or clothes) and will treat myself with every once and a while. Buying things of my cheaper list will give me satisfaction but keep me on the path to the bigger things. 

Keep Track 
Write down all of the money you spend per week or per month and figure out exactly where your money is going. Obviously, if you're self sufficient, you will need to calculate how much money you need to set aside for bills and other things to keep you alive (such as food). For people like me who still have their parents to do that, just figure out what you're wasting your money on and try to stop it. If you know what you spend most on you can work to cut that down. 

Be Nice To Yourself 
Some goals are easier to achieve than others. I know that buying GHD Hair Straighteners will be far easier than saving up for a car, but that shouldn't stop me from striving to get both. That being said, fulfil your easier goals first if that will give you the encouragement to keep going. Also don't cut out all of the fun, make sure you still treat yourself every now and then to something off the cheap wishlist. 

Literally Save Your Pennies 
I find that one of the best ways for me to save money is to not use my coins. When I go to a shop and pay with cash, I often get change. When I get home this change goes straight into a jar instead of spending it next time I go shopping. These coins actually add up, and by the time my jar gets full and I take them to the bank, I have well over $100. 

They're some of my money saving tips, what's your number one tip to saving money? I'd love to know. 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig