Wednesday 5 March 2014

Academy Awards Style Review


I am cuddled up here with a huge cup of chai tea looking at the top looks of the 2014 Oscars feeling heartily impressed. I'm not impressed because there was lots of phenominal dresses, but because there was no really really awful ones. I struggled to find three bad dresses, well three bad dresses I felt okay about criticising (ladies who are pregnant with twins or really old are not okay to criticise).

The Good

Lupita Nyong'o


She's done it again! Lupita looks like an absolute princess in this frosty blue dress (an homage to Academy Award winning Frozen perhaps? Probably not.). It has such a deep V neckline but she doesn't look at all inappropriate or vulgar because she is flat chested enough to pull it off. Not to mention the diamond headband. DIAMOND HEADBAND. That she pulls off effortlessly without looking childish or overdone. It accents her outfit perfectly without any need for a huge necklace or statement earrings. If I ever need a stylist, I want hers. 

Sandra Bullock 


Old Hollywood glamour was the phrase of the evening on Sunday and Sandra was leading the way. If you put this photo into black and white you wouldn't know when it came from, it is the opitomy of timeless beauty. Sandra is such a legend that she doesn't need to walk the carpet with a seagull on her head, she can come out looking classy and elegant. Her hair and makeup is flawless as well. 

Kate Hudson


I'm not just praising Kate because we have the same last name (though I have convinced people we're cousins before, which we sadly aren't), I honestly believe she looks amazing. It is the prefect combination of Lupita's elegant plunging neckline with Sandra's old Hollywood glamour. Plus she's wearing a capelet and you know I'm a sucker for a cape. 

The Not So Good 

Anna Kendrick 


I'm right over the leg, people who have a slit in their dress need to resist the urge to stick out their leg. Anna's dress would have flown right under my radar if it had not been for the leg and the weird red lace around her waist. The lace is distracting and not in a good way, it simply makes it look to busy and takes away from her beautiful face. As a good note to finish on, her slit does hit her leg at a good place. It is not so high that it would be uncomfortable to sit and walk in, but it shows off her great legs and stellar heels. I just wish it only showed them off while she was walking not while she was posing dramatically.

Cate Blanchett 


I know everyone is loving this dress, but it is doing nothing for me. I personally think the nude colour washes her out and the embelishments look like pieces of scrunched up tin foil stuck on her dress. Even though her face and hair look amazing and she's the closest thing Australia has to royalty because she is just so regal, her dress doesn't hit the mark for me this time. 

Pharrell Williams 


Some people need to learn how to dress for the occasion. He is wearing shorts to the Oscars. With a leg tattoo no less. That is all I have to say on this matter. 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon xo
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig