Monday 17 March 2014

Holiday Cooking: St. Patricks Day



I was tempted to make a typical St. Patrick's Day food, basically anything I want coloured green with food colouring. Instead I decided to go with something more traditionally Irish. This carb-filled wonder is a combination of my favourite food and my favourite thing to put vegemite on (potato and bread), so I thought I'd give it a go. 


Ingredients: 

- 4 cups (600g) Plain Flour 
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 600ml Buttermilk
- 1 Cream Delight Potato (preferably small)
- 1 sprig Fresh Rosemary 


Method: 

1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre.

2. Add the buttermilk and stir until the dough starts to come together. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead for 1-2 minutes or until almost smooth. Shape dough into a 35cm log. Place on the prepared tray.

3. Use a small sharp knife to cut slashes diagonally at 3cm intervals in the top of the loaf. Insert the potato slices, overlapping slightly, and the rosemary into the slashes.

4. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.


This bread is delicious warm, would be fantastic with soup. I definite must try if you're into soul warming food and lots and lots of carbs. 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon xo

Come follow me on twitter HERE
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig