Sunday 19 April 2015

3 Australian Pop Culture Gems


Hola muchachos! Honestly, I felt really compelled to start this post with hola muchachos and it makes no sense because this is the start of Australia week* here on the blog, so it would be logical for me to start with g'day mate or something else typically Aussie (that I would never say in real life). Because I'm a firm believer in following your heart, I stuck with the Spanish greeting. 

ANYWAY this post is actually about some great pieces of Australian popular culture that not everyone may know about. 

Guy Sebastian 
I know Guy had some international success with his song Battlescars but he is certainly more appreciated here than anywhere else. Way back in 2004, I remember Guy (who had a massive afro) winning the first season of Australian Idol and he has been a household name ever since. He has had many the hit over the years so it is hard to pick my favourite but if I had to I would say it is 'Like It Like That'. I highly recommend that you check it out, even if you don't give his other songs a listen. 

Winners and Losers 
From music to TV, we have a show about four school friends who reconnect at a reunion and end up winning the lottery together. Odd, I know, but it is actually a really good show. They are up to their fifth season now and it has definitely evolved from the basic premise of the school friends winning the lottery to a more traditional drama/comedy hybrid about a group of friends and their respective families. The idea is a simple one but the execution is where the show shines. They manage to combine more serious subject matters (babies, cheating, explosions) with more lighthearted moments, making it seem more realistic. I'm sure there is somewhere on the internet where this gem can be found. 

The Sapphires 
In order to cover all the bases, we now have a film. I remember hearing that this had a bit of a run on the international film festival circuit but I wouldn't think any average person saw it. This film is based on a group of Aboriginal women in the sixties who formed a Motown group, The Sapphires, to perform for the troops in Vietnam. It follows them and their manager from formation through their tour and the story is really interesting. It stars Chris O'Dowd (Bridesmaids, The IT Crowd) as their manager and Deborah Mailman, Shari Sebbens, Miranda Tapsell and, another Australian Idol alum, Jessica Mauboy as The Sapphires. There is some singing in the film but it is by no means a musical, you can't expect a film about a musical group without a couple of songs. Next time you are looking for a film to watch this is definitely one to check out, it is totally appropriate for the whole family. 

Some Aussie gems to start of Australia week! I love these songs/shows/movie and I'm sure you will too! Stay tuned for more Australia themed posts every day this week! 

*Australia week is being written in conjunction with True Blue Migrations so if you are interested in speaking to some experts about moving to this beautiful country, please click HERE. I, personally, would do it for the pop culture alone. 


Lots of Love, 

Shannon

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig