Saturday 25 January 2014

Holiday Cooking: Australia Day Pavlova

Happy Australia Day! I thought I would share a favourite Australian recipe of mine with you all to celebrate.  I know not all of you are from Australia, so you may not even have heard of this dish, but I can tell you it is worth a try no matter what county you live in (I'm sorry about the quality of the photos, it was my first try).


Pavlova is an Aussie classic (even though it didn't actually originate in Australia, sorry New Zealand), so it is perfect to take with us to an Australia Day barbecue. For those of you who have no idea what it is, it is basically a huge meringue with cream and fruit on top and boy is it yummy. The combination of the crisp outer shell with the marshmallow-like centre is good enough on its own but the addition of the whipped cream and fresh fruit really makes it delicious and traditional. 


This is a very simple thing to make, there's not many ingredients at all. All you will need is: 

- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- Large pinch of salt 
- 3 cups (660g) caster sugar
- 6 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence

You will need to preheat your oven to 150°C. Line a baking tray with some non-stick baking paper and draw a 40cm circle on the paper, place the paper on the tray, circle side down.This works as a guide to make your pav round, I don't bother with this step as I use a round baking tray. 


The most time consuming and tiring part of making a pavlova is separating all the eggs, once you're done with that you're on the home stretch. I just crack the egg and move the yolk from one half of the shell to the other until there is no white left. I'm fairly confidant with it and I think that is the key, if you make a mistake there's no harm in only having 11 egg whites. That being said, I always crack the egg and separate it over a smaller bowl and then add it into the larger bowl with the rest of the whites, just in case. 


Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. 


Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking for 1 minute after each addition. Once all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk on high for 3 minutes until stiff peaks form.


Combine cornflour, vinegar and vanilla essence in a small bowl to make a thick paste. 


Add to meringue and whisk until just combined, the mixture should be glossy and have stiff peaks.


Use a spatula to spread meringue over the circle, smoothing the surface and sides. I like a rustic look with mine, so I don't worry about making it too perfect. Reduce the oven temperature to 120°C.


Bake for 2 hours - the pavlova should be dry to the touch. Turn off the oven and leave it inside to cool completely (I will cook the pav late at night and leave to cool overnight). 


When you are ready to serve, whip up some cream and serve it topped with your favourite fresh fruits. I went with kiwi fruits, mango and strawberries this time, but you could use any fruits you want. I really love it with all different types of berries and a shaving of chocolate. 

Give this simple treat a try at home and tell me what you think. 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon xo

Want to follow me on twitter? The link is right here: @shanny_hudson 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig