Wednesday 15 January 2014

Golden Globes Style Review

I’m sorry for my lack of posts lately, I have spent the past few weeks babysitting (a post on that to come) and by the time the kiddies went to bed, I was too tired to make a post that made any sense. Now I’m home and have the time we’re experiencing a massive heatwave in Melbourne and all my motivation and energy has gone down the drain. We’re only two days into this wave of over 40 degree weather and I’m already totally gone. 

Anyway, enough about the weather, this week has had a far more important event occur. The Golden Globes were on Sunday (or actually Monday in Australia) and the beautiful people of Hollywood were out in full force. This year seemed to have more classic stars than ever before: Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Leonardo DiCaprio and Meryl Streep were all nominated. There were so many fantastic and quite a few not-so-fantastic dresses this year, so I’m going to share my best and worst with you all. 

Best: 

Mila Kunis 


I love the colouring of this dress, the chrome embellishments that started around the neck and faded out to a beautiful grey skirt was perfect on her. If she didn’t have the belt to pull it in at the waist it may have looked a little baggy, but Gucci knew what they were doing when they designed the dress. The detail around the neck eliminated the need for a necklace - which I feel can ruin some people’s beautiful dresses - but still drew all the attention to her gorgeous face. She kept her makeup neutral and let the dress do all the work. 




Lupita Nyong’o


This simple yet attention grabbing dress was the perfect statement for Lupita to make at her first Golden Globes. She stepped out onto the carpet and showed everyone just how beautiful she is after proving her acting skills in 12 Years a Slave. I didn’t even know who she was before the Globes and now I’ve made a concerted effort to learn how to pronounce and spell her name because I’m convinced she’s going to be around for a while to come. 



Margot Robbie 


I have loved Margot since her days on Neighbours (Aussies represent!) and her Golden Globes debut was on point in my eyes. She went with a simple look that - much like Lupita - showed off her natural beauty. She wore quite a sexy dress which was low cut with a high slit, but managed to look so classy and elegant. The fabric was not forgiving, but you didn’t even notice. The best part was the beautiful embelishment around her torso, I think that was the part that made it elegant and without that it could have crossed the fine line into trashy. This would have tainted or completely ruined the fantastic publicity she gained from the awards. 



Could Have Done Better: 

Drew Barrymore 


As hesitant as I am to bag a pregnant woman on her awards show attire, I just cannot deal with this dress. Pregnancy seemed to be a big thing on the carpet this year, with Kerry Washington and Olivia Wilde pulling it off effortlessly. This floral mish-mash was overwhelming and the colours were not right on her skin tone. I’m not a fan of the cut of the hem of the dress on anyone, but this is particularly bad because it adds to the overwhelming look of the dress. Though in the end I have to forgive Drew for this fashion booboo because she looks so glowing and happy. 




Zoe Saldana 


I don’t know what to say about this dress, it’s just bad. There is too much going on, clear bits, embellished flowers, off the shoulder and baby pink are all crammed together in one confusing mess. Apparently this dress was made for Zoe personally, so I hope she was wearing it out of the kindness of her heart instead of choosing it for its beauty. The close up photo is so pretty and I think Zoe can wear a way better dress than this. 



Edie Falco 


Oh Edie, Edie, Edie. Why did you feel the need to wear a dress that has been done time and time again? This is not a particuarly bad dress, it is just the fact that it has been done before. Nicole Kidman and Emma Stone have both worn incredibly similar dresses and they have worn it better. The silk fabric was not a good choice and Edie looked rather uncomfortable in it. 



Lots of Love, 

Shannon xo


Want to hear my opinions on some other things? Follow me on Twitter: @shanny_hudson
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig