Thursday 10 December 2015

Current Reads: Night Owls


December is not only the month that I get my blog game back on track, it is also the month of the book. I aim to read a book a week throughout December purely for my own pleasure, something that I have not partaken in for years now since I have to read so much for school *insert nerdy English student joke here*. 

The first book up is one that I was gifted by my Uncle, Night Owls by Jenn Bennett. It chronicles the life and loves of Beatrice Adams as she tried to traverse the streets of San Francisco, harness her artistic talents, sort out her familial issues and get to know the mystery boy she meets on the night bus. 

Both of the lead characters, Bex and Jack, are very likeable and their personalities kept me intrigued throughout the story. Their interests in art really made me think because they were so unique. Bex is into anatomically correct medical drawings and Jack makes fonts and creates art through the way words are portrayed. These are both types of art that I had never considered before but that doesn't make them any less creative or mean that the person who makes them are any less talented. The fact that someone had to create the type face that I am using this very moment is fascinating, reminding me that we often forget to appreciate that most of the things around us were created by someone with an incredible talent. 

The story itself is a pretty generic young adult love story but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. It is a confident and witty boy with something to hide falling for a nerdy and complicated yet beautiful girl. If you're not into this type of stories, I would skip this one because that is the crux of the story. Other story elements were also very interesting but the way they wrapped them up at the end felt a little slap-dash. It was as though because the love story had reached its natural end, the author decided that everything needed to be resolved at the exact same time, even if it made absolutely no sense to do so. 

Overall, I really enjoyed the characters in this book and the situations they were in. My total lack of a love life (randomly deep and slightly depressing, whatever, we're going with it) makes me really enjoy and become invested in the love story. The end of the book left something to be desired and I think Bennett should have taken some more time to wrap things up in a more believable manner. 

If you check this book out, please let me know what you think about it. 

Lots of Love, 

Shannon

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lots of Love, Shannon. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig